Monday, September 25, 2006

Need for better academic settings

In reading some of blogs on the our Holy Father's regensburg lecture, particularly the need for Catholic academics to step up, and educate the world, got me thinking: How can we, as catholics in academia do this?

First line of thought was that how nice it would be for me, who may get a job in the kinesiology department, to create a course to go along with "Human Sexuality." Except, this course would be cross-listed in religious studies and philosophy and anthropology, and be entitled something like "Human Sexuality and Phenomenology: Biblical anthropology." It would be a class on the theology of the body. Obvious question: what department head would allow that? One of my old ChE professors (Ed Seebauer) in undergrad taught an engineering ethics course he developed with Fr. Bob Barry, OP. Hey, if he did it, why can't I? It helps to have tenure..

Or if I had my own university (or made the president of a university) (or had $1B to start a college), I could develop a theology department. Would that be a way to do step up?

Then I got thinking. As academics, we certainly have duty to teach this stuff (even though I only took I philosophy class, so I don't know if I am qualified). But, we can preach this just as much by simply living the Theology of the Body. I am not quite sure how one does that as an academic, other than ... give your whole self to teaching.. ? [that's if your don't give yourself away in marriage].

How can we teach and live the truth of faith and reason in harmony and as two wings of the soul? How does faith play a role in studying the stability of stochastic limit cycles applied to human walking? How do we include that in our teaching? how is our teaching philosophy informed by our faith and theology? We have to apply for jobs and play the tenure game, and not get flagged as a "right wing religious fanatic who can't keep his own churchy stuff to himself."

No comments: