Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Looking for a career? Consider Geriatrics?

I learned today that there will be critical shortage of physicians trained in geriatrics in the next 20 years. ADGAP = asso. of directors of geriatric academic programs= has a report: we will need ~36,000 geriatricians in 2030, but at the current rate, we will only have 9000. Unfortunately, many physicians are not being trained. There are 468 spots/year for physicans to get additional training. Only 253 are filled in 2006-2007, of which 184 are foreign students.

Currently, 48% of primary care physician's patient load consists of those of age 65+. That will only increase..

Makes me wonder if I should have been a clinician? hmm. no. I think I am still cut out for academia rather than clinical work. Plus it is a bit late for me.. As I have now turned 29..

No comments: