Monday, January 01, 2007

Walt Whitman - Prayer of Columbus

So I bought a Thomas Hampson album of the poetry of Walt Whitman. Being an international opera star, his voice is quite range-y, and there was one song set by Robert Strassburg called "Prayer of Columbus" which is enscribed in marble in a DC metro station according to Wikipedia
It has A4 in it, which is quite high, but then again, I would not expect any less from Mr. Hampson. One day I'd like to be able to sing it, because musically it is very strong. But then today, I read the text more carefully. Wow, it is some powerful text, all the more I want to learn to sing it. (maybe in a lower key..). The text is of lifelong struggles, but the "urge, the ardor, the unconquerable will" all come from "Thee, O God." Obviously Christopher Columbus was no ordinary man, but this text is so very inspiring for me, who read it while sitting on the couch and relaxing. I guess that Walt Whitman understood the boiling energy, the inspiration, the heart following the lead of the Holy Spirit, but not just in Columbus, but in all persons. Ah, my words fail to describe the energy these words stir up in my heart.

I would like to get this song sung at my funeral, although I don't know if I can really live up to the text - it is a song of living that "urge, the ardor, the unconquerable will" that come from "Thee, O God" but I don't know if I have done so ..

Wow.

No comments: