Saturday, September 15, 2007

Dialoging with Jehovah's witnesses

So every Saturday, these two JW missionaries come by. In spirit of charity, I talk to them, although I wish it could be more intellectually stimulating. The two missionaries are usually African Amerian, or Francophone African-Caribbean-Americans, the more populous of the two black group of the two in Boston.

Anyway, they give me an opportunity to study scripture, albeit in a slightly warped way. We discussed (or butted heads on) our diverging views on eschatology. Recently, they keep hammering at "Why is there suffering in the world?" Due to this quick scripture study I had, I can now tell you that (1) it is ok to ask God why , as stated in Habakkuk, and (2) God has his own ways as stated in Isaiah 55:8-9. They have influenced me! oh no! ;) I wish we could talk about more deeper issues, but they are not very responsive.

I try to point out that sola scriptura approach, especially if the bible was translated to fit a particular theology, is dangerous. But I end up sounding like I don't regard the study of the scriptures as crucial in our faith formation, and too my horror, realizing I am guilty of that very issue of not studying the scriptures as well as I could. I do have a tendency to simply own volumes of apologetic material by people like Steven Kellmeyer, and looking up stuff only when necessary.

So I see this opportunity to dialog, to learn about the scriptures albeit in an odd way, and also flex some intellectual/scriptural/theology muscle I have acquired over the years. I am good at learning all these things, but I don't know what good this does to the church. I haven't really been given chance to teach the faith or witness verbally, so perhaps this is a chance. It means that I have to prepare my own discourse as well. Certainly, this is a chance to share the fullness of truth with these missionaries. The Francophone African-Caribbean guy is a non-practicing Catholic, so the mission is even more important in that sense!

Any tips, comments on talking with JW folks? My dad once managed to scare them away by teaching them things about the faith, which is one likely outcome for me as well.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My tip: don't talk to any Jehovah's Witnesses. They are a disgrace of an organization. What ever you do, please do not buy into what they have to say. Take care!

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, the Jehovah Witness and Mormons that will come to your door have been very effectively brainwashed by the higher-ups in their organization, and as a result you won't be able to convince them of anything.

Steve Kellemeyer once posted a discussion that he had once with a pair of Mormons that came to his door where he ran circles around them both logically and Scripturally, but they continued to persist in reciting their memorized stances.

ScholarChanter said...

But if we give up on them, who will open their eyes to the fullness of truth? They may not respond to my/your attempt, but it may still sow the seed of grace. No?