Saturday, September 15, 2007

Young adult group at BC, church choir, surprise visit

9/12/Wed. I made the cut for BCE, so I decided to join this group, because it is small (~30), and it does more unique repertoire. I decided to go check out the young adult group at St. Ignatius on Boston College campus. Again, I had to drive through Chestnut hill, (ewww!). By a miracle, I found the meeting location. I forgot to check the exact building that the meeting was in, so when I arrived, I managed to go into the church, find a bulletin, call the receptionist, who was actually there until 8pm, who told me to go to the rectory. Praise God! For a moment I thought this wasn't meant to be, but apparently it was!

The YAG meeting had ~10 people, from various parts of the city. We studied the previous Sunday's reading, (similar to UGAP). Sunday reading study is the normal activity for this group. Since BC is Jesuit, we talked about Jesuit spirituality a bit.

9/13/Thr. We sent off 3 abstracts to GSA conference in November in San Francisco
This is an aging conference, so I am curious to see what stuff is there. I hope the abstracts get accepted! Getting them out in time was quite stressful, but I left work early to get my car/license registered in Massachusettes.

The registry of motor vehicles is located in Chinatown area. It is open late on Thursdays, and I tried sooo hard to make sure I got there before 5pm to beat the evening influx, but alas, no. Surprisingly, the process was rather painless, as their system to handle different needs were pretty efficient. I met another soul from Texas (Dallas area), who is an opthamologist at one of the hospitals in town (don't remember which).

Then I went to Holy Name of Jesus Parish in my neighborhood. It takes me ~3 minutes to get there by car, but I had to park far away, so it defeated the purpose of driving. The church is cruciform, and it is gorgeous inside. This is also the seemlingly the only parish that has a music director and a separate organist. The director is ~55 yo baritone, who sings really well, and negotiates the tenor parts rather well. There are 2 other men in the choir who sing bass, so I sang tenor as well. I thought I recovered from the cold, but apparently I didn't, as repeated E4's were too much to sing at the time. The director and I chatted about the music at the Cathedral, and apparently he sings there for archdiocesan events.

9/14/F. I decided to relax, then get a call from a family friend from Chicago. Her daugher goes to Harvard, so she came to drop her off, and wanted to get together with me. After all, I haven't seen them in many years. She got a hotel room in Dedham, MA for some reason, not realizing how far it is from Harvard (~20 miles via highway). After receiving the call ~5:45pm, we don't meet until ~7:30 pm in Dedham, and then drove back to Harvard (which is actually in Cambridge, MA, not in Boston, as I found out). We had dinner at a Korean restaurant, which wasn't all that good. I was rather surprised, but there aren't really too many choices. In Roslindale area, other than the Sushi place, there is no Korean food within 10 miles, as far as I know. Then we drove back to Dedham, and I drove home. Whew!

9.15. Sat. So I decided to relax at home, and recover. I was feeling really un-well during work on Friday, .. So here I am. The Jehovah's witnesses who come by every Saturday morning came by again. I specifially told them that I won't be around next week.

That's all for now!

No comments: