Saturday, September 15, 2007

Furniture shopping, Auditions, trying to have a "life"


So, last weekend, I managed to do some shopping. The area had lots of garage/yard/rummage sales, so I stocked up. I don't have much cash, so I didn't get to splurge too much.

I got this Ethan Allen chair for $50 at Boomerangs, which is a thrift store in Jamaica Plain (adjoining neighborhood, in the direction of Boston city center). (all pictures approximate)
And a $20 sphere chair from a garage sale

Then I went to a farmer's market in my neighborhood. Farmer's market produce is really expensive, but they are much better tasting! They had an heirloom variety of tomatoes that look like cherries, but very different from cherry tomatoes. They taste more like cherries than cherry tomatoes. Yum.

Past week has been a whirlwind of activity as I have been attempting to have a "life."
9/8/Sat - decided that after all that shopping, I should rest, but then decided that I shouldn't spend Sat. night alone, so I went to a house/coffeehouse music event called JP unplugged
Got to hear some singer-songwriters. The opening act was good, but I didn't care much for the main act.

9/9/Sun - decided to sing at the Cathedral of the Holy Cross. Driving there only took ~22 minutes, to my surprise. We celebrated the titular solemnity of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, rather than the regular 23rd OT. We sang at the front, behind the ambo. It was very difficult to hear anything. As typical of many churches around the Northeast, there are lots of big beautiful churches with a very few people, and not a lot of singing. The 9/2 Sunday mass I attended at St. John Chrystostom was unique in that people actively sang!

I realized that morning I had a cold of some sort, which made me tired on Saturday.
In the afternoon, I dragged myself to drive to Needham, MA (20 min away) for an Alexander Technique lesson with a teacher who teaches voice at Wellesley. We worked on some voice things, which was very informative.

That evening, I went to audition for Boston Cecilia, one of the oldest choirs in the US, apparently. I got in, but wanted to shop around some more. The rehearsals are in Brookline, which forces me to drive through Chestnut Hill, which is really, really confusing.

9/10/monday. I discover that the vending machines at work are emptied at 3pm on MWF, giving me free food!!! All the food at Hebrew Rehab. Ctr (HRC) are Kosher, but there are pancakes, sandwiches, soups, etc. available at the vending machine.

Monday night was an open rehearsal for Boston Choral Ensemble, a very young, new group, that meets in downtown Boston. Driving into downtown was SCARY.. at first, since I didin't really know where I was going. Fortunately I found parking not too far away.

the upcoming concert is madrigals of different sorts. Including Les Chanson des Oiseaux, which we sang at Texas Early Music Project last year. Good readers, definitely a young, hip, etc. type group.

9/11/Tuesday. Somehow I ended up with a 9:30-10pm audition slot for BCE, but driving up there wasn't so bad. found parking at the exact same place as Monday night.



No comments: