Saturday, September 15, 2007

In Memoriam: Kil Won Kang

Dr. Kil-Won Kang, my grandfather's brother, passed away after battling gallbladder/bile duct cancer for ~6 months. For some reason, both of my grandparents also died from the exact same disease.

Dr. Kang was the first one in my family to attend college, as well as get a doctorate at U of Illinois (go Illini!) way back when. He has been a surrogate grandfather to me and my father especially after my grandfather died. He won't be making it to my graduation now, I guess, at least not in his earthly body.

He is survived by his wife, 3 sons and 4? grandchildren (my 2nd cousins).

Only in the last ~5-10 years, has he developed a relationship with God (of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob), but I guess such things never come too late in life. As he was in the hospital, my aunt (dad's youngest sister, who was just received into the church in ~04 after 20 years of trying) and dad prayed the Angelus regularly with their uncle on his deathbed.

This leaves my dad as the eldest male in the family, which probably is rather stressful for him. Not because of reponsibilities, but maybe because he will be the next to die, most likely. oy. not a happy thought.

I was hoping to visit to see Dr. Kang before he died, maybe in August, especially since I didn't really have to start the postdoc until 9/1. But then, there are things like dissertations that get in the way.

Requiem aeternam, dona eis Domine. et lux perpetua luceat eis.
I don't know how to conjugate dona* to a singular form. oh well.
and God shall wipe away all our tears. For the former things are passed away.

Well, at least my dad will come back home after having been in Korea for over a month now. So he will actually be home next time I go home!

No comments: